Image credit: Gisborne Herald

[image credit: Gisborne Herald]

To profile an artist with words, is like writing a thesis with a chisel. Although a ‘chisel-themed’ thesis wouldn’t be entirely impossible; describing Nick Tupara with words is just a grain of sand in comparison to the wealth of knowledge he brings to Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

“I started off as a carver and have been carving since high school,” he says.

“My grand-uncle, Tame Ihimaera, was a carver and one of the original trustees for The Whakatohea Trust Board. In those days, kids weren’t allowed to hang around the carvers, but I would stand and watch.”

Now instead of watching, Nick is embracing an opportunity to teach the Certificate in Māori and Indigenous Art - Kawai Raupapa Level 4 & 5 Rauangi (Visual Arts) – at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in Ōpōtiki.

He says it’s not just his toi background that attracted him to the role, but his connection to the Ōpōtiki area.

“A part of my story is my tipuna come from here, the Tuparas are buried here, that’s why I chose to come to Ōpōtiki.”

Through kōrero with Nick, it is apparent that the teachings he holds in high regard come from his whānau/tīpuna. It comes from his connection with the whenua, it comes from those around him. Nick was born with a special gift that has enabled him to retain information, thus he is able to share this with our tauira (students) and those who he encounters.

“In my time of life, I haven’t had an opportunity to come back to this part of myself in a creative medium that I’m comfortable with. My shyness to have a go is long gone now, in any creative medium. I just live in a contemporary time, and Te Wānanga o Aotearoa gives me the capability to live like that.”

If you are interested in learning locally in Ōpōtiki through Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, visit our Ōpōtiki campus page.

.

Published On: 05 April 2022

Article By: Chanel Coromandel

• 24 January 2023

From Kenya to Aotearoa - Toi and its many connection's

Jennifer Dickerson, a self-proclaimed "Third Culture Kid" due to her unique upbringing around the world, has discovered who she is through art.

• 19 December 2022

Masters opens door to book project

Juggling work as Communications Advisor for Te Wānanga o Aotearoa while completing his masters, and writing a book has meant Tracey Cooper’s plate has been rather full recently. Fortunately with his exegesis completed, book published and work in wind-down mode for Christmas he’s able to take a breather and reflect on his journey through study.

• 15 December 2022

‘Rererangi ki te Ao’ Opens doors at Kirikiriroa Airport

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa Kairuruku and Pouwhenua Whakairo (master carver), Professor Kereti G. Rautangata, (nō Ngāti Mahanga, Ngāti Koroki Kahukura) and his team of carvers have left their mark on a significant piece of the Waikato landscape.

• 14 December 2022

Making a difference with mau rākau

Tamiaho Searancke, who started learning the art of mau rākau at age three from his kuia and kaumatua, has guided another cohort of tauira through their journey of learning the ancient Māori martial art.