Sophie Doyle Reo Māori tauira

By learning te reo Māori, 22-year-old Sophie Doyle hopes to be an example to her whānau and generations to come, embodying the vision of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, whānau transformation through education.

Sophie began her reo Māori studies at the Kaitaia campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa in 2023 after initially studying Environmental Sciences and Māori and Indigenous studies at Te Whare Wānanga o Waikato (The University of Waikato). She’s currently enrolled in Te Pīnakitanga ki te Reo Kairangi Level 7 after completing Te Aupikitanga ki te Reo Kairangi Level 6.

"I started studying te reo when I was 18. I took a few classes during my bachelor's and then did a full immersion year. I moved home (to Kaitaia) from Hamilton after graduating and I wanted a space to keep practicing and improving my reo Māori. I didn't want to lose it,” she says.

Continuing with her reo studies at her local Te Wānanga o Aotearoa campus has allowed Sophie to learn from Te Tai Tokerau kaiako who’ve shared a similar cultural background to her.

Sophie is grateful for the learning environment that’s been created by the Te Wānanga o Aotearoa kaiako and praises them for their dedication to their mahi and local community.

“We're lucky to have a safe space to learn and kaiako that are passionate about what they're teaching. I’m so grateful for the time and dedication they give us. Even though I only started learning here last year, I’m lucky to be here.”

Sophie’s journey is an example of the role that education plays in preserving and elevating Māori culture, inspiring other rangatahi Māori to embrace their language and identity.

Sophie's advice to rangatahi considering learning te reo Māori is straightforward, "Be confident and don't be shy. It's easier said than done but stick to it and remember why you're doing it. You only get as much out of it as you put in."

Find out more about our Te Reo Māori language programmes

Published On: 11 July 2024

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 05 September 2024

Celebrating heritage: Former toi tauira art debut in Ōtepoti

Former toi tauira, Ana Hislop and Emily Clemett, celebrated their first public gallery exhibition in Ōtepoti, launching their art careers in the south where their tīpuna are from.

• 29 August 2024

From a hobby, to a passion, to a career

Sue Tipene (Ngai Tahu, Ngai Tūahuriri) has had a few career changes, but a passion for education has been at the core of each and every one.

• 22 August 2024

Tikanga programme inspires award-winning DOC project

For 12 years, Cher Knight has worked for the Department of Conservation (DOC) with a key part of her role being to work alongside tangata whenua to uphold the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.

• 15 August 2024

There and back again for hauora kaiako

Lynette Ngaheu gave up a life of leisure in Ireland to return to Kawerau and says it was the best move she ever made.