Kaya Grace: Graduate - Diploma in Rongoā Māori

Two years ago, if you told Kaya Grace that she would be a graduate of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, she might not have believed you.

The Porirua mum says she struggled with her confidence and was wary of opening herself up to unfamiliar settings. That was until she started studying rongoā Māori at the Porirua campus of Te Wānanga o Aotearoa.

“It’s been a journey of self-discovery and self-healing. I suffered quite a lot with anxiety and bouts of depression throughout my life, so I’ve looked to heal myself in all ways possible.”

Kaya completed the Certificate in Rongoā in 2021 and last year she proudly completed the Diploma in Rongoā, graduating alongside her peers and supported by her whānau.

As someone who didn’t complete secondary school, Kaya was sceptical about how her learning journey would go at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, but she was happily surprised with how much she achieved.

“I didn’t know that I could fit within an education system but I’ve achieved something academically and I’m proud of myself for that.”

Kaya credits the kaiako (teachers) she has had throughout her time studying, as well as her fellow tauira (students) who have shared the challenging yet rewarding learning journey with her.

“The kaiako were fantastic and there was so much encouragement from everyone. In the first 3 months I didn’t say much in class, but a safe space was created and that made it okay to share our vulnerabilities.”

It was a longing to reconnect with her taha Māori (Māori heritage) and te reo that led Kaya on a path to studying rongoā. And although she has completed her Diploma, she hopes to grow in te ao Māori (the Māori world) for both her and her whānau, especially her 3 daughters.

“I feel like the connection to the taiao (environment) is how I really connect with being Māori. I’m just beginning my journey, so I just want to absorb all things Māori to help me get to the place I aspire to be. The growth in my whānau through engaging in study has been amazing.”

Find out more about our Hauora programmes

Published On: 21 June 2023

Article By: Cassia Ngaruhe

• 01 May 2024

Milestone achievement as kairangahau secures first ever Marsden for wānanga

Almost 3 months ago, Tara McAllister made the transition from mainstream academia to Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, where she has taken on the role of Kairangahau Matua within the newly established Rangahau Centre, Te Manawahoukura.

• 24 April 2024

Tāne creates legacy for his whānau by learning te reo Māori

From someone with no te reo Māori knowledge to now being able to speak te reo Māori all day, every day if he chose, Ruebin Reti has evolved into a beacon of inspiration.

• 18 April 2024

Raranga guides new mum back into te ao Māori

Joy Gilgen had always thought that raranga was a practice reserved for older generations, but after having her first pēpē in 2022, she had the urge to do something holistic and reground herself in te ao Māori.

• 28 March 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa honour two founders with new scholarships in 2024

Te Wānanga o Aotearoa relaunched their scholarships in 2023, and in 2024 are proud to announce the introduction of three new scholarships, two of which honour a couple of the institute’s founding members.