Herewini Moana

For as long as Herewini Moana can remember he has been practicing and sharing his knowledge of tikanga Māori with all those willing to learn.

He’s worked with iwi, schools, corporations and now Herewini will be teaching Te Whāinga o te Ao Tikanga (Level 3) programme at Te Wānanga o Aotearoa’s (TWoA) Huntly campus.

“I’ve been teaching for a long time but never at a tertiary institute. I hope with my experience in teaching and tikanga I can take it to another level and further the kaupapa (topic).”

Tikanga encompasses the purpose, protocols and practices of te ao Māori (the Māori world) and is the main foundation of Herewini’s upbringing.

Born and bred in Huntly, Herewini is active in the community, supporting kaumatua on the paepae within the Kīngitanga and supporting the kaupapa of local iwi in the area.

“Tikanga is something that comes naturally to me now and I practice it throughout my journey in life.”

Seeing people grow their tikanga knowledge but also grow in confidence inside the classroom and out is the ultimate goal for Herewini when he is teaching.

“It makes me proud to see tauira (students) practice tikanga on the marae or in everyday day life and that is why I choose to keep teaching.”

Herewini encourages all those who are willing to learn and understand the importance of tikanga, not just in te ao Māori but many aspects of life, to come and study.

“You will be learning in a safe space and you will take away knowledge and skills that you can go on to share with others.”

Herewini will be teaching the tikanga programme over 20 weeks, beginning in July 2022.

For more information or to enrol in the Te Whāinga o te Ao Tikanga programme in Huntly or throughout Aotearoa, visit our website to find our programme offerings.

Published On: 29 June, 2022

• 10 August, 2022

Entrepeneur Hits the Spot with Spice Blends

A little over three years ago Kavita launched the label ‘Kavita’s Kitchen’ after completing the Certificate in Small Business and Project Management course in Wellington.

• 25 July 2022

Wendy-Lee pursues her passion

Wendy-Lee McKee-Warner’s love for art started at high school, where she spent all her time hanging out in the art room.

• 14 July 2022

Filling the toi kete

Innovative and motivating are just some of many words that describe the well-known toi guests who have been inspiring our tauira this semester.

• 14 July 2022

Toi Maurata – now enrolling for Semester B 2022

The name Toi Maruata is a symbolic play on words and tikanga Māori concepts directly relevant to the rich genre of Indigenous art forms.